Sunday, May 29, 2011

Sunday Sugar: Words of Wisdom

Today was a celebration of sorts for the kids at our Sunday School. Some of the kids were "moving-up" to a higher level and a special program was prepared for them. Part of the program was a message delivered by yours truly. I was invited to share a few of my stories since I grew up in Sunday School and am now a teacher.

I know kids have short attention spans so I armed myself with lessons they could easily remember and candies as a reward if they are able to memorize. I gave them the 4 F's of Faith that I invented: Fun, Favorites, Friends, and Future. (Haha) Fun was about my good memories in Sunday School. Favorites were about the best experiences and the most memorable Bible story (David and Goliath). Friends, of course, are self-expanatory. Future was about how I've continually been able to benefit from Sunday School.

I told my audience that, as a former student and a current teacher, I still learn a lot from being surrounded with kids. Sometimes adults miss the whole point of life, because work or responsibilities get in the way of what's really important. That's why I always come back to Sunday School to remind myself of where I came from and where I want to go. It's where life started for me.

After sharing some of my stories, I closed my message with my favorite verse from the Bible, Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
It's the perfect verse to share with the kids because it summed up my entire childhood-one of uncertainty yet still full of hope. I think I got my message across, because I ran out of goodies. Haha!

I stayed on after my message. Towards the end of the program, all the teachers were called on stage and were each given a book tiny enough to carry around. I read a couple of pages and my eyes gleamed at the treasure inside. It was such a sweet deal. The tiny book was Words of Wisdom for Teachers.


It was my Sunday Sugar. It was such a sweet deal. I feel it is more than enough of a privilege for me to be able to shape the lives of these kids as their teacher, so the token meant a lot. It's something that I can take with me everywhere and read when I need a breather. That tiny book came at just the right time, because I am at a point in my life when simple words of encouragement are able to carry me through the day. Simple things like that have great value for me.

Sunday Sugar will be one of seven special weekly stories I'll write on my blog about the different things that matter to me. I probably won't write a post everyday. I'll choose only those that are meaningful to me.
 


Hanggang sa muli!

P.S. I got the special weekly stories idea from That's Chic, a blog I've been following for a while now.

No comments:

Post a Comment