Monday, June 20, 2011

Everyday Ordinary Heroes

Yesterday was the 150th birthday anniversary of our country's national hero, Jose Rizal. My family and I were talking about him when my brother asked, "Do you think he was aware he was going to be a hero for what he did or was he just doing what he believed was right and fighting for the country?" To which my Dad answered it was probably the latter.

But despite being recognized (internationally, in fact), I still could not count him in my roster of heroes. Yes, I am well-aware of all his accomplishments and I have utmost respect for what he's done for the country, but I can't relate my life with him. He seemed too accomplished and too high-up to reach.

Which brings me to the thought that these days the term 'hero' is used a lot more often. Some people respectably attribute the title to a public figure, or loosely assign it to a comic book character, or honorably give it to a personal encounter, friend or relative. Makes me wonder what it is about heroes that most people feel the need to have one.


I know little of politics and I'm not a comic-lover so I can't speak for these people. I'm more the type who associates hero qualities with people who are close to my heart. People who have really made an impact on me. In that sense, heroes become more realistic and easier to reach. Surely there will be people who can relate with me when I say that it isn't so much fun looking up to someone you couldn't talk to or ask advice from. It made dreams painful, because they felt unattainable.

Hence, my personal encounters are my heroes because I really knew these people. I knew what they went through. There was no filter or editor to erase all the non-romanticized parts of their lives. I knew that they struggled and I saw how they rose up. I saw their guilt-stricken faces, their remorse, and their fulfillment upon overcoming a problem. Emotions make hero stories real to me. Personally, it gives the ideal a whole new dimension of realism. The one I hadn't seen in other kinds of heroes.

These are the heroes that have so much power over the decisions I make. The truth of their character tells me that they know what they're talking about. They have the experience I have yet to go through. It's a lot like looking at the wisdom of the ages from a closer perspective.

I choose heroes who are close to me because they pull my dreams closer. And it is from my understanding that heroes present a portion of the ideal we want to attain. They remind me that dreams are not meant to stay as dreams. They are meant for me to bring them into reality. Heroes use dreams to shape us into becoming heroes ourselves.

I like heroes who allow people to believe they can be like one of them. They're not too far-fetched or imagined.

If only I got to live in the time of Rizal and had the chance to meet the guy. Haha!

*Disclaimer: Make no mistake about it, I recognize Jose Rizal as the Philippine National Hero. He did a lot of things for our country. He contributed a lot to society. I'm simply talking about my life heroes.



Hanggang sa muli!

No comments:

Post a Comment