Thursday, July 15, 2010

Reading Books like Watching Telly

I've been gone from my blog for quite a long time. I really have no excuse for my absence, though. Most of what I've been preoccupied with lately is the internet and all its time-wasters. From time to time, I get the urge to read
so I open my cabinet and get an untouched book that's gathered dust. A few days later, I get the same urge but then I realize I'm bored from the previous book so I pick up another book. Before I realized it, I have 4 books on my bedside table. All partially read and all screaming for my attention. All of that happened in a span of 2 weeks. (You have to understand I have a relatively short attention span and a really slow reading pace.)




I decided to read this because I'm a fresh graduate and I haven't found a job yet. I think it's the perfect time to open my mind to income possibilities before I start earning my money. That way I'd be better at "minding my own business" as Rich Dad puts it.






My Dad recommended that I read this to help open my mind about things and about how the world of economics and free enterprise works. Funny thing is that  in "Retire Young Retire Rich" Kiyosaki recommends reading this book, too. It was really a coincidence.








I read this to have a change in "environment". I felt like I was immersing myself too much in serious business that I needed something light. This book is my go-to whenever I want to imagine myself in a different world.










I'm reading this because it helps me with principles and values, especially when it comes to sales ethics. It's a must-read, I say.






Amazing thing is when I put down one book and get back to a different book, I still manage to absorb all of them well. It's just a matter of me wanting to understand it's contents. When my brother saw how many books I was holding, he said, "Good thing you're still able to follow those despite flipping form one to the other."

I realized I read as if I were watching the telly. After a certain length of air time, a commercial comes up, so I switch to a different channel. In reading terms, I switch to another book. The commercial is when my attention span decides to stray because of hunger pangs or some other form of distraction.

Funny thing is that because of this reading style, I'm learning to love reading even more. I used to read a lot, but only for the sake of making the parents proud. I never completely understood what I was reading. (Thumbs up for poor comprehension!)

For me, the joy in reading is found when I am able to appreciate every chapter, every part & every story as I diversify my thinking. It's like going back to school only I do it in my own pace & the lessons are more practical now. I don't have to rely on the professor or the academic schedule. I can go slower or faster. Didn't realize learning this way can be enjoyable.

How about you? How do you find joy in reading?



Hanggang sa muli!

4 comments:

  1. wow! very serious stuff! I know reading can indeed be fun! Very ironic comment eh? Labo ko..haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose I'm becoming a serious person? Haha! Nah. Can't be. I'm probably just trying to rearrange the clutter that is my life right now. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. "My Dad recommended that I read this to help open my mind about things and about how the world of economics and free enterprise works."

    Daddy FTW!

    Now I want a daddy like that! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He recommends a LOT of books. I can give you his reading list, Alps. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete