Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A Picture or A Thousand Words?

Nowadays, we're bombarded with visuals that make it so tempting for me to try. Especially with the availability of digital technology, it's hard to resist the invite. 
 
Let me explain what I mean... You see, I've always wanted to make this a photo blog, but it didn't turn out that way.

I've had a couple of attempts, e.g. my funny fashion posts, my good times post, etc. But then I'm much too shy to take my camera out of the bag & take snaps of every interesting thing I see or experience. It courts too much attention for my taste. I'd rather write things down and be able to revel in all my thoughts without worrying about other people noticing. It's more than enough that I get to part my own experience through words.

I realized this after reading a couple of Jason Mraz's blog posts. His blog is text heavy, but I didn't mind. I found his writing so entertaining I didn't feel the need to look for pictures. His thoughts we so beautifully written, they were colorful as they were.

So it hit me... I didn't need to make my webspace a photo blog to make it interesting for people to read. Fact is, I made this blog so I can attract the kind of people who share the same thoughts and feel the same way. If others find what I write boring, then they're not who I'm looking for. (Not to seem arrogant.)

I am a writer. Not a photographer. Not a fashionista. I love what I do and I can't get enough of it. There's so much space for growth; and there's always the option to share. All I need are my pen and paper or my laptop and I'm all set for another great adventure. And you're all invited tojoin me, if it pleases you to do so.


Hanggang sa muli!

P.S. I enjoyed this post so much I didn't realize how long it got. I missed writing for pleasure. It’s not a thousand words, though. If you were serious in counting, there are over 300 words. (I checked with Word. Haha)

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree. People right now crave for instant gratification and suffer short attention span. We have Twitter. Then Tumblr. I'm a bit sad since traditional blogging has been losing its popularity. Only a few can really have the patience to read (and write) an entire post. A fewer people can analyze and make a learning out of it. :)

    In my case, I'm guilty of having short attention span (thanks to Twitter's 140 characters philosophy) but I still write lengthy posts (relative to the 140 characters and Tumblog standard, LOL) e.g. my book reviews. I don't care if some people won't read its entirety--I didn't write it for them anyway. Haha.

    P.S. I enjoyed writing this comment so much I didn't realize how long it got. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do write relatively long posts and I find it kind of refreshing, actually. I like your Triumvirate posts the most, how you manage to put order into the random things. Haha!

    ReplyDelete